X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Prawning Rods.

Hi guys! Im quite into prawning recently. Do you guys have any spare rods to sell? Im looking for those that can be extend if possible? Please kindly include the hooks, float and lines? HAHA. Hope to have some replies soooon!

Originally posted by Edzel See View Post
    Hi guys! Im quite into prawning recently. Do you guys have any spare rods to sell? Im looking for those that can be extend if possible? Please kindly include the hooks, float and lines? HAHA. Hope to have some replies soooon!
    Hi Edzel See, I believe prawning rods can be had at tackle shops and they are not so expensive unless you want special or custom made ... lolx. You see, prawning doesn't really need special rod, even a bamboo branch can do the job and yes, we need be serious with the rod thingy. There may not be many pre-owned prawning rods in the market so, the next best thing to do is go to the nearest tackle shop to get one. Cheers
    Survival Instincts

Comment

Hey Diver, thanks for the information. But do you have an idea whether Im able to get one online directly? My area dont really have any tackle shop man im living in woodlands btw. HAHA

Comment

Hi Edzel, i believe the pay ponds you go to (assuming is bottle tree park) should be selling some rods and floats. Usually they will tie your hook and float when you ask them to, they even provide you the hooks and lines!

I'm not sure of any online shops, but if you wanna get some prawning stuff joe tackle at beach road is pretty good. They have those pre-tied float, line and hook sets.

Comment

The cost of a brand new rod can vary from below $20 to hundreds of dollars. Most tackle shops do sell them. You can check out the threads in other forums for the list of tackle shops. It will be good if you can communicate with the boss as they can offer you good advice. Pricing aside, you should check whether your rod is the stiff or flexi type. The main line is usually a braided line of low poundage. As for floats, I prefer the smallest .. most sensitive one. And you need very small swivel to go with the line. As for hooks, I usually get the pre-tied "Sure-Catch" Size3 hooks. You may also want to get some small weights which u will need when setting the length of your float from the hook. Alternatively, you can use plasticine as weights (as long as it helps u to ascertain the depth of the pool and whether your float is set properly).

You should be able to set up everything nicely within $50 bucks unless u are going for the high-end stuff ...

Comment

Originally posted by AlvinC View Post
            Hi Edzel, i believe the pay ponds you go to (assuming is bottle tree park) should be selling some rods and floats. Usually they will tie your hook and float when you ask them to, they even provide you the hooks and lines!

I'm not sure of any online shops, but if you wanna get some prawning stuff joe tackle at beach road is pretty good. They have those pre-tied float, line and hook sets.

Hey Alvin,

Thanks for e advice man! Im still trying to look for those online tackle shops man, its rather troublesome for me to travel around cause i've got no car HAHA. Im not sure what kind of rod is suitable for me also man, any to recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Marky Mark View Post
              The cost of a brand new rod can vary from below $20 to hundreds of dollars. Most tackle shops do sell them. You can check out the threads in other forums for the list of tackle shops. It will be good if you can communicate with the boss as they can offer you good advice. Pricing aside, you should check whether your rod is the stiff or flexi type. The main line is usually a braided line of low poundage. As for floats, I prefer the smallest .. most sensitive one. And you need very small swivel to go with the line. As for hooks, I usually get the pre-tied "Sure-Catch" Size3 hooks. You may also want to get some small weights which u will need when setting the length of your float from the hook. Alternatively, you can use plasticine as weights (as long as it helps u to ascertain the depth of the pool and whether your float is set properly).

You should be able to set up everything nicely within $50 bucks unless u are going for the high-end stuff ...
              Hey Mark,

Thats some kind of useful advice man! Haha, thanks! Im always trying to find out how to measure e depth of e pond man, ive got no idea how to measure and how to adjust e float accordingly man. My float always end up slanted damn bloody irritating. Haha, not going for those high end ones yet, unless im really experience man!

Maybe I can ask for a meetup for prawning session!

Comment

Edzel,

I would instead advice you to purchase from a tackle shop instead of online. I can only find offshore online selling and with the freight added to it, it as good or even higher than you bought locally.

Here is the BMW (Bus, MRT, Walk) that you can use to get to the mention tackle shop;

Woodlands to Chongpang market: Bus 969, 858...you can see 2 tackleshop along the main road, press bell and light.
                Woodlands to Yishun Sincere: Bus 969, 858....alight at Northpoint Shopping Center, cross over towards to MRT and you will see sincere.
                Woodlands to Yishun Blk 934: Bus 969, 858..alight at Northpoint Shopping Center...facing the shopping center..turn right and go along the roadside...you reach a garden...cut across the garden and you find blk 934.

Or Alternately

Take MRT alight at Yishun MRT andwalk to the 3 mentioned designations.

I hope Yishun is not very far for you...LOLz...

Comment

Hey Mark,

Im always trying to find out how to measure e depth of e pond man, ive got no idea how to measure and how to adjust e float accordingly man.
                  Dip the the rod into the pond. The surface water mark at rod is indication of water depth, measure the line and hook to it and adjust float shorter or longer to desired depth from the water mark.
                  Survival Instincts

Comment

Originally posted by vanduka View Post
                    Edzel,

I would instead advice you to purchase from a tackle shop instead of online. I can only find offshore online selling and with the freight added to it, it as good or even higher than you bought locally.

Here is the BMW (Bus, MRT, Walk) that you can use to get to the mention tackle shop;

Woodlands to Chongpang market: Bus 969, 858...you can see 2 tackleshop along the main road, press bell and light.
                    Woodlands to Yishun Sincere: Bus 969, 858....alight at Northpoint Shopping Center, cross over towards to MRT and you will see sincere.
                    Woodlands to Yishun Blk 934: Bus 969, 858..alight at Northpoint Shopping Center...facing the shopping center..turn right and go along the roadside...you reach a garden...cut across the garden and you find blk 934.

Or Alternately

Take MRT alight at Yishun MRT andwalk to the 3 mentioned designations.

I hope Yishun is not very far for you...LOLz...

WOAH, must say that Im really shocked with your reply man! DAMN DETAIL! Hahaha! Thanks for the information, didnt know theres a few shops ard yishun area! Its quite near my place I guess, plus e buses you mentioned can be found right at e bus stop in front of my block! HAHA! Cheers man*

Comment

Originally posted by diver7up View Post
                      Dip the the rod into the pond. The surface water mark at rod is indication of water depth, measure the line and hook to it and adjust float shorter or longer to desired depth from the water mark.
                      Ohhhhhhh, thats kinda interesting. But the line has to be longer than e rod/water mark right?! I heard people suggesting to me to use a rock and dip it into e pond also, and then measure accordingly. But somehow Im still stuck with the measuring part -.- HAHA

Comment

Hey Alvin,

Thanks for e advice man! Im still trying to look for those online tackle shops man, its rather troublesome for me to travel around cause i've got no car HAHA. Im not sure what kind of rod is suitable for me also man, any to recommend?
                        No problem! Like what mark mentioned there is 2 kind of rod; stiff or flexi.
                        Few other factors to consider when you are buying the rod other than price or stiff/flexi rod will be length of the rod (ranging from 5-9 feet?) and probably the weight of the rod.

Personally i recommend the 9 feet and flexi rod, mainly because i go to Hai Bin at Bishan (the one with 2 small pond) and the bigger prawns like to hide in the middle section which require a longer rod. It's best you head down to the tackle shop to pick your rod rather than getting it online.

Comment

Originally posted by AlvinC View Post
                          No problem! Like what mark mentioned there is 2 kind of rod; stiff or flexi.
                          Few other factors to consider when you are buying the rod other than price or stiff/flexi rod will be length of the rod (ranging from 5-9 feet?) and probably the weight of the rod.

Personally i recommend the 9 feet and flexi rod, mainly because i go to Hai Bin at Bishan (the one with 2 small pond) and the bigger prawns like to hide in the middle section which require a longer rod. It's best you head down to the tackle shop to pick your rod rather than getting it online.
                          HAHAHA! Ya sia, all prawns are in e middle one sia. Yeap, thanks for e advice man! Im trying to get those which are extendable man, at least would be better! HAHA.

For HaiBin, I was recommended to prawn at the lower level which has 4 ponds man, e frequency is a lot higher man, you should try there! Go for D' Kranji Farm also, Im always there whenever it comes to prawning! HAHA

Comment

prawning is a great hobby! happy prawning!
                            living life in life. having a soul in soul. what am i.. To know u is to know myself.. who am i.. searching for me, I to know u.

Comment

Hey Mark,

Maybe I can ask for a meetup for prawning session!
                              Sure. But i dun usually prawn on weekends. Leave me a thread in advance if u r headin down to Hain Bin. I usually prawn at the 4 ponds ... if u know what I mean

Comment

Working...
                              X