X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navionics app

How many ppl are using the Navionics app? Is it useful/nice to have/not necessary?
    Queenfish - 1, KBL - 3 (PB - 53cm/1.75kg), Grouper - 3, MJack - 1, Taiwan Ngor - 2, Sailfish - 1, Tenggiri - 1, Chermin - 0, ACK - 0,

I use it almost every trip! You can easily see wrecks, obstructions, drop offs, rises, holes, etc. Look for the differences in the sea bed and you should find fish!

Comment

Get that app! Great when looking around for potential fish holding areas. You can understand what your fishfinder/sounder is telling you better and this translates into fishing in mote likely fish hideouts and more fish on the end of the line. Do take note that the charts might be a little outdated (i.e certain features like wrecks are no longer there) and the GPS function isn't terribly accurate.

Comment

I like it! Its pretty handy to have to find spots and agar-ate distances and work out how far to travel, and whether so and so spot is more likely to be fun than the others and most importantly if you're lost you have some way to get back from where you came from

Comment

Originally posted by BiGB@RR@ View Post
          Get that app! Great when looking around for potential fish holding areas. You can understand what your fishfinder/sounder is telling you better and this translates into fishing in mote likely fish hideouts and more fish on the end of the line. Do take note that the charts might be a little outdated (i.e certain features like wrecks are no longer there) and the GPS function isn't terribly accurate.
          Bro bigb@rr, what the name of the app u guys referring to. Care to share the full name or detail of the app. I had browse thru app store and it seem that the app is not for locally use leh. Kindly advise and thk in advance.
          Last edited by khunthai; 08-04-2011, 01:40 AM. Reason: Add more words

Comment

http://www.navionics.com/MobileMarin...e=iPhoneSingle

Comment

You need the India & South China Sea maps.

Comment

Very useful & nice to have app. I use it when exploring new fishing ground. My only issue is that I find that running it for a prolonged period really drains my iphone battery. I also carry a Garmin 60CSx which I use to mark spots that I find. I use the GPS when I want to find the spots/places I've visited before.
                All of us have photographic memories, some just don't have the film.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pearly View Post
                  You need the India & South China Sea maps.
                  The new app covers a wider region. The Indian and south china sea map is no longer on sale.

Get the Australasia & Africa ....... US$14.99

New features available:
                  Wind forecast
                  Terrain overlay
                  Community layer - Navonics UGC
                  Panoramic pictures of harbors and marine
                  Latest 2011 map
                  Last edited by babymerv5; 08-04-2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by khunthai View Post
                    Bro bigb@rr, what the name of the app u guys referring to. Care to share the full name or detail of the app. I had browse thru app store and it seem that the app is not for locally use leh. Kindly advise and thk in advance.
                    I believe the replies below have answered your queries bro!
                    Purchase..download..and you'll probably be fiddling around with it for quite a bit as you try to identify "fishy" looking terrain

Comment

Thank you for the precious info abt the app. It will also benefit other kaki who is interested too.....

Comment

Hi guys, just downloaded the app yesterday...have to say...i think amazing wat the navionics can inform you about the waters around Singapore, especially those parts where it is restricted to achor...however, can anyone tell me how to identify some of the dotted lines and symbols? cause i tried to look for specific legends... cant to seem to find....

Comment

Dunno which symbols and lines you are referring to. Use your fingers to zoom into the area and you should see text next to the lines - Wreck (Wk), Obstructions (OBSTN), rocks/reef (Foul), etc. Most of the wrecks close to shore are only small boats or sampans, but the obstructions, fouls and fast changes in depth are what you are looking for. The long lines along the coast are contours - changes in depth. When these lines are close together, it will indicate a steep drop. Each contour band is shown in a different shade of blue, from dark in the shallows to white in the deeps. The deeper the water, the lighter the colour.

You will also see other symbols which mark buoys or beacons. They are navigational aids for ships and boats, but should not trouble you much. They are good for jigging for selar or tamban though - mainly when the current is flowing.

http://mapserver.maptech.com/mapserv...ymbols/Q1.html
                          Last edited by Pearly; 13-04-2011, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Just for info. There is another map. I have both Navionics and a 99 cents one called Singapore flyer map. This one is better than it sounds. It seems to have all the features of Navionics and also if you tap on a wreck an info page comes up about the wreck. Depth etc... I kicked myself for buying Navionics after I seen this.. Anyhow is someone thinks 14 bucks is too steep, then this might be the answer.

Hey Ian mate.. Can you explain to me what the small numbers next to the larger depth readings are??

Comment

The small number is the decimal part of the bigger number. For example: If in "Menu" the user has selected "Meters", then the number 108 means 10.8 Meters (or feet or fathoms, depending on what unit of measure the user selected).

The depths are relative to the state of the tide and are given at the average. A depth of 12 may actually be 10 on a low tide and 14 on a high tide. That doesn't matter until it is too shallow to fish. An obstruction shown at 12 may fish well at 12 to 14 feet, for example, but will not fish well at 10 feet.

If 12 feet sounds too shallow for you to fish, you may be surprised. If the surrounding seabed is 18+ feet rising to 12 feet on an obstruction, the fish will congregate on the slopes of the obstruction - usually where the current meets the obstruction. Find the change and you should find fish. The fish come and go and a spot may fish fantastic one day at a certain time and then nothing before or after. If you visit an area regularly and have found a likely spot, fish it at all states of the tide. Some will fish on the rise, some on the fall, some - not at all!
                              Last edited by Pearly; 13-04-2011, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X